It never ceases to amaze me the wonderful things people can sometimes be capable of. This week hasn't been the most pleasant for me for a number of reasons, but while I was on the bus heading to school today feeling sorry for myself... I noticed that a guy on the bus gave up his seat for an older gentleman who just got on board. I know this brought a smile to my face and made me remember that sometimes it's the little things that mean the most. The other thing that it made me think of, was a speech that one of my students gave last week-- a tribute to the random acts of kindness that people do. Even though I had to be slightly critical of it for grading purposes, I wish I would have said more about it at the end of class when I had to wrap things up.
So, Melissa... I would like to paraphrase one specific section of your speech because in the end, it's what made me feel better when I needed it the most:
"Thank you for the random acts of kindness that you probably don't even notice. Whether this is opening the door or lending someone who missed class the other day your notes. For donating time or money to a charitable cause. Canning for THON in temperatures that are frigid to say the least. For serving lunch at the Panda Express. For giving someone a "just thinking of you" gift. For picking up something that someone dropped, and returning it to them. Appreciating your professors... and realizing that they DO have a life. For meeting someone new and including them in your group of friends. For spending time with friends... and taking care of them when they need it the most"
I have to give particular attention to the last statement. My friend Masaki wouldn't leave me by myself when I was dealing with a situation that had me pretty upset yesterday-- and that was probably the nicest thing he did for me. I'm sure if he would have left me on my own, that I might have done or said something that I would have later come to regret. Instead, he sat there with me, in my cube talking to me about anything and almost everything to try to get me to calm down about the situation. And eventually, it worked. By the time I got back from my afternoon class-- I was able to respond in a very rational and coherent manner. Even though, to be honest... I still want to throw a rock at that person who made me so mad.
Sorry. At least I'm being honest. :)
Anyways, there are often beautiful things that happen on a daily basis that get no recognition whatsoever. We are so quick to criticize, quick to share our negativity with others, that we very often forget what a smile looks like. We forget that there are many things on a daily basis for which we should be thankful: a home, family, friends, a car that gets you to and fro, a job, food on your plate or in your fridge, running water, heat, a soft pillow, clothes.... I could go on and on.
So, just to let you know... I don't feel so bad about my week anymore. I know in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to matter much-- and that in the end, God always prevails.
In that, I have true faith.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment