Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hell hath no fury...

I have to admit... it is quite unusual for me to have more than one post in a week. But, let's face it! The last post was me complaining about the weather and how my extremities were pretty close to falling off of my face.

Today, this post is of a different nature... sort of...

In case you didn't know, the topic for my upcoming dissertation concerns infidelity and communication. That being said, in case you've been living in a hole lately-- you might not have seen the most recent and extreme case of this come into the public eye.

ASTRONAUT FREED ON BOND

In case you didn't know the story-- apparently this woman was carrying on a relationship with a fellow astronaut-- who was carrying on a relationship with a fellow astronaut/flight engineer. Yeah, talk about a triangle huh? Now, my friend Kenny and I have spent some time delving into who is to blame and although I have to admit I was quick to judge and place all blame on him (him being the guy she was involved with NOT KENNY!), it actually turns out I might be wrong.

If you read through the story, you will find that she was recently separated from her husband: read... she was married. With three children no less. At this point, it becomes hard to understand the "woman scorned" role I had kind of advocated initially. Somehow, when there are kids involved, regardless of their age-- you have to wonder who really is the bad guy in the end and who is losing the most. As a result of her actions (stalking the competition, attempting to kidnap her, actually pepper spraying the victim before she was able to get away, dumping the evidence, having all sorts of incriminating evidence with her...the list goes on and on), she is:

a) most likely going to be dishonorably discharged from the Air Force
b) removed as an astronaut and never be able to work for NASA again
c) going to be divorced-- because although she and her husband were separated, they weren't divorced yet
d) lose or have a hard time gaining custody of her children
e) alienating her family because they are having to deal with the scandal
oh... and the more obvious one...
f) going to have this on her record for the rest of her life. Even if she does get out of jail eventually, try going back to a normal life with that on your record.

Luckily for her, NASA is looking into re-evaluating their psychological testing processes for all of their employees... and offering her psychological help as well. Which I am sure that she needs. I guess in this case, it's a good thing that the government stepped up to the plate and did a good thing.

Anyways, so as the story develops... I'm sure I'll keep wondering about this monster called Infidelity and the victims it leaves in its path. Whether you advocate a evolutionary perspective (think: evolutionary psychology), social skills (some people are just skilled at getting others involved in things they shouldn't be...) , or some other explanation... it's still really hard to base all explanations for this behavior on that one perspective (at least from what I've found). So, in the meantime, I'll keep doing my best to investigate... and keep you posted!

No comments: