Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Turkey times... or... Hooray for Thanksgiving!

Hello again everyone!

I'm back to report on another adventure... this time I've decided to write all about my lovely Thanksgiving Holiday. Now, I know this might not seem all that eventful to most of you, but to me it was quite exciting because it's the first Thanksgiving I've had in Texas since I moved to Happy Valley! Can you believe that? My first Thanksgiving was actually spent in PA at my friend Brett's house where he hosted an orphan's turkey dinner. Last year, I was fortunate enough to be invited back to my friend Julie's house to spend the holiday with her family. However, this summer, my mom finally put her foot
down and asked why I couldn't come home for once to celebrate the holiday with them. So, luckily I managed to find a pretty decent flight (especially for it being JULY... yeah, I have to buy my plane tickets home three months in advance) that would allow me to actually spend Thanksgiving with the Laras.

Now, as you know... this is one of those holidays which can be a major pain in the a@! with all the preparations that have to be done. You know, the grocery shopping, trip to the Honeybaked Ham place (or whichever one we went to!), cleaning, cooking... I could go on and on!
I guess the best place to start is the night before where my sister and I took off to her friend's house to borrow their stove to make the dessert: pecan and apple pie. Now get this: my sister went all out with these pies this year and I have to admit they look pretty awesome. Here's the kicker: they LOOK pretty awesome. Those pies (see my cute dog Oso?) were RAW. No lie... the bottom crust on the apple pie didn't cook all the way because the apples were too juicy and the pecan pies were about to burn so when she took them out, they still hadn't finished cooking; only the tops did. Oh wait... and did I mention she forgot to put sugar in one of them? I mean, poor Kei... the disasters never ceased when it came to her and her Thanksgiving desserts. Even the annual "green dessert" came out kinda funky because of mom's food allergy and the need for "homemade" cool-whip.

Well, luckily-- the entire meal wasn't ruined. In fact, we had a rather nice Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey was awesome and so was the ham. I whipped up a mean green bean casserole (my specialty) and made a salad as well. There was mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, broccoli rice casserole, stuffing (which also had a story of its own), and the best part... Logan's Roadhouse rolls. YUM YUM YUM! Of course, we did our favorite things to do on Thanksgiving... football and Home Alone 2 (see dad and Caesar watching the Cowboys game... too bad they lost)! Not gonna lie... I put on a couple of pounds after that dinner, so I suppose it's a good thing that our next day was devoted to getting the house ready for Christmas!

That's right loyal readers... for the first time in three years, our house is decorated for Christmas BEFORE I come home for the holidays! I suppose that's because I pretty much demanded that this happen (and I kept volunteering people to help put the lights on the house-- don't worry Caesar, we'll get you when those lights need to be taken down!).
The day after Thanksgiving (or "Black Friday" to everyone who works retail), while Kei was busy shopping the day away with her friend Ann... Mom, Dad, and I worked to get the house festive for the Christmas season! First, my mom had my dad get rid of these two decrepit looking trees that we've had for awhile so we could make room for all the new stuff we had. Then, she and I took turns digging out all the ornaments we had for our tree. We got this great deal on a prelit tree from Target last year, only we were a little surprised to realize that it was a lot smaller than any tree we've had thus far. Anyhoo... all that didn't matter once we got the lights and ornaments up on it... it looked fabulous! We even got a new Nativity set that you can see under the tree too. Of course, when Kei got back home, dad put her to work on getting those lights up on the house. Luckily for her, he was the one actually up on the roof putting them on, but she still had to stand there and get the lights around the yard and help him replace the dead bulbs! Although that pic doesn't show it very well, the house looks really really good.

All in all I have to say that it was great being home again for Thanksgiving and I'm really looking forward to being back home for Christmas (especially for the Tech Carol of Lights!). Hopefully... I'll be able to update y'all really soon with some fun stories about my birthday party/holiday party that we're having tonight! Talk to you then! :)

No comments: