Friday, January 18, 2008

Cold enough for your nose hairs to freeze!

I'm pretty sure I've said that statement many a time... and I'm wondering if I've ever managed to finish a blog about that. In case you didn't know, it is possible for it to get so cold that your nose hairs freeze-- creating a most uncomfortable sensation. As annoying as the cold weather can be here in Happy Valley-- that is even more annoying. Seriously. You spend half the time walking where you need to go making funny faces and wrinkling your nose in an attempt to "break up the ice crystals." Yeah, that's gross-- but that's winter here in PA.

Enough about that though... I'm on a new mission that should be achieved before February is over. I was lucky enough to get Stephen Colbert's book for Christmas this year, and I have to say that I'm going to have to get back into reading it again. I had to put it down temporarily to spend quality time with the family and friends in Texas, and now that I'm back in PA-- school's temporarily taken over from quality reading time. That being said, I was astounded to find out the following this week while perusing some of my favorite online news sources...

Colbert Portrait Hangs at the Smithsonian Museum

WASHINGTON (AP) — Stephen Colbert was denied when he tried to run for president this year in South Carolina. Now the fake TV pundit is getting some love from the city of his birth.

His portrait was hung Wednesday at the Smithsonian Institution's National Portrait Gallery in Washington for a six-week showing in what the museum considers an "appropriate place" — right between the bathrooms near the "America's Presidents" exhibit. Museum officials stress it's only temporary.

"We agreed to go along with the joke and hang it for a short time in between the bathrooms," said museum spokeswoman Bethany Bentley. "Let me tell you two key things here: His portrait is not coming into the collection, and it's not hanging permanently."

That may come as a surprise to Colbert, who has campaigned for the honor and boasted on his Comedy Central show Tuesday night that his portrait was "hanging in the hall of presidents, just a few yards from the father of our country — exactly where I believe it belongs."

Amazingly enough, I was planning on going to see some friends in D.C. in the near future and now I am definitely going to see them for the sole purpose of dragging them on this nerdy quest. It's things like this that remind me how cool it is to live where I do sometimes... especially when you have to deal with the "hairs-freezing-in-my-nose" syndrome.

In case you wanted to see the exciting adventure of how Mr. Colbert managed to achieve this feat, I've embedded some of the video clips from the Colbert Report for you to view. They're actually pretty funny... and my personal favorite is the lip-syncing of Prince's "When Doves Cry". He's pretty spot on for just about all of it (too bad the actual director of the museum wouldn't cooperate!).

Enjoy!


















No comments: