So, let me just start by saying that in case some of you were wondering, no, I did not fall off of the face of the earth for the past three weeks. Actually, I was in Texas for the holidays and I have the tendency of getting absorbed into what I'm doing there instead of keeping up with everyone else and doing my normal routine (read: sitting at the computer for long hours, chatting on AIM, working on school related tasks, etc.). To all my PA and outside-of-Texas friends, I apologize for leaving you hanging so to speak! Of course, to be fair, there were a number of you that were actually in Texas that I didn't get a chance to see or talk to either (sorry Jana! I just didn't get to make it to Abilene for a long enough visit!)... so see, in the end, everyone was neglected somehow!
I have to mention that I was more hesitant than ever to climb back on that plane this time around to come back to Happy Valley. Don't get me wrong... no one wants to be finished more than I do, but at the same time... ugh! There is so much work to be done and I'm really afraid that I won't have enough time or energy to do it. :( I am coming to terms with the fact that for me this is the biggest battle I will face for quite awhile (God willingly!)-- I have to learn to defeat the procrastination and lack of self-confidence that attacks occasionally and keeps me from getting done the things I need to do. Remember that movie Office Space? I almost want to attach a sign similar to the one Initech had: Is this good for the company? Only, I think my sign should say-- Is this going to help you graduate? or Is this going to keep you from moving OUT of Pennsylvania?
Yep. That's about where I'm at.
Anyways, the Spring 2008 semester starts tomorrow (woo hoo!) and that means I need to get to work on my syllabus. I've been going back and forth about what assignments I want to include or what changes I want to make this semester... I really need to get cracking with that. Then again, sometimes there just isn't any way to make this material entertaining. Occasionally there are really good examples of what it looks like to not be prepared on your speech day (see Miss Teen South Carolina) or what happens when we don't listen (hooray for getting to show Office Space in class!). Even Audience Analysis can be fun occasionally (I got to show Head of State in class for that one!)... other stuff like the background of public speaking is just not so entertaining. Now that I think about it, I guess I should add this as motivation to get the F%&K out of grad school and get a job already.
I wish I had some interesting stories to tell... but for now things are pretty chill. I'm sure in a week I'll wish things were quiet and easy to keep up with-- but in the meantime... let's get this party started!
Yep. That's about where I'm at.
Anyways, the Spring 2008 semester starts tomorrow (woo hoo!) and that means I need to get to work on my syllabus. I've been going back and forth about what assignments I want to include or what changes I want to make this semester... I really need to get cracking with that. Then again, sometimes there just isn't any way to make this material entertaining. Occasionally there are really good examples of what it looks like to not be prepared on your speech day (see Miss Teen South Carolina) or what happens when we don't listen (hooray for getting to show Office Space in class!). Even Audience Analysis can be fun occasionally (I got to show Head of State in class for that one!)... other stuff like the background of public speaking is just not so entertaining. Now that I think about it, I guess I should add this as motivation to get the F%&K out of grad school and get a job already.
I wish I had some interesting stories to tell... but for now things are pretty chill. I'm sure in a week I'll wish things were quiet and easy to keep up with-- but in the meantime... let's get this party started!





No comments:
Post a Comment