All right, this one is gonna be short because it's getting late and I've gotta teach at 8am tomorrow morning. But, I thought I'd share my story with you today because in the end... it only benefits everyone.
(Well, everyone except me because I'm the one in the middle of it...)
Anyways...
Today my beautiful purple jump-drive stopped working. Now... this is the equivalence of me having a major stroke or at least a severe heart-attack. We're talking major life-changing event here. Although some of you are thinking, "Buck it up and get a new one!"- anyone who's had this happen to them can relate to the tears I've been shedding since the bunghole on the iSupport from Lexar (THE DEVIL INCARNATE!) told me they don't have data recovery.
"What?!?! (I shouted) How can you build and sell these things for a living and not know what to do when the break or help people out of a jam when troubleshooting doesn't work?!?!"
Simple.
When you're outsourced tech support that lives safely in India... there's no need for data recovery. Apparently, that's highly overrated or something. So, I decide that I'm going to call the Lexar geeks in California (which actually costs $$-- long distance $$ that is!) since the iSupport was sooooooo helpful and see what they can do.
Simple.
They decided to go home for the day. Now, here's where I endorse SanDisk-- people who don't go home till 10pm (EST) and get there at 4am (PST). Yeah. Those geeks know how to W-O-R-K.
Meanwhile, the punks at Lexar are making me wait till 7am PST (that's 10am EST for those of you who were wondering) to attempt to see if they can help me out.
Unless they refer me to the Geek Squad again.
Which isn't happening because those peeps want at least $250-$1600 to pull the data off the jump drive. What's up with that random pricing?!?!
So what is this girl wonder going to do in the meantime???
Well, 1) get some sleep. I still have to teach tomorrow and it's not like they're going to be open when I'm awake anyways. Punks. 2) Hope that the Lexar peeps can actually pull the data off the drive. We're talking YEARS of work stored on this little piece of machinery here people! 3) find a way to manage through tomorrow and hope for the best. Logistically, it's all I really can do.
I do have back-ups of certain documents in places, but really... I hope you all immediately rush out there and back up everything you own: music, pictures, word docs, etc... Otherwise, you could be in my shoes someday and you REALLY don't want that.
So, please pray for me dear readers-- this is a BIG deal and I am gonna need a miracle to see me through this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Use the jump drive as a transport vehicle, not as a backup.
Back it up at home. Back it up in the office.
You're getting to the point in terms of inherent document value that you may even want to just get a mess of CDs and back it up there too every week or so.
Also Google has an online storage system. Even better you could Email tons of things to a gmail and virtually never run out of space (and if you have THAT much data I can hook you up with plenty of more Gmail invites equaling space.
Don't be afraid, nay, be PROUD of multiple redundancies.
Post a Comment