Upon coming into the Arrivals area at the Leonardo da Vinci airport, I was immediately mistaken for someone's relative. Apparently, I do have a doppelganger after all-- when all along, I thought people were just making that up.
Secondly, when we got lost.. we happened upon an area that seemed fairly "ghetto" in nature. The cool part about being in this part of Rome was that we happened to stumble upon a market that had fresh fruit, veggies, and I'm sure all kinds of cool things. However, the sketchy neighborhood distracted us in addition to the skeezy old Italian men who would call out to the three pretty girls walking along (read: us). The other crazy thing was about being offered cell phones on the street! If the guy that offered them to me would have had a pink Razr, I might have reconsidered. Also, true to the common perception that most Europeans hate Americans, as we were making our way back into the better part of that side of Rome, we walked by a pillar that said some pretty mean things about President Bush and the American Army. I just wish that they could really see the difference between people who get sent there according to someone else's orders. Makes you really want to shout... "we didn't vote for him!"
I have to admit... it's amazing the things your mind remembers at 5am when you can't seem to sleep in the Athens airport...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment