Friday, July 14, 2006

Rome... in a day!

July 4, 2006

Today I found out the hard way why they say Rome wasn't built in a day.
We were blessed with four hours to get to see some of the sites. Following Josh Miller's recommendations, we hopped aboard the Leonardo DaVinci Express and made it into Rome Termini. After spending a few moments orienting ourselves to our location-- we still managed to get ourselves LOST. After doubling back for what seemed to be an ETERNITY, we finally made it into the Piazza della Republica. I wanted to jump in the fountain there so bad. I mean, it was SO HOT in Rome! For example, as I sit here on the train back to the airport, I am sweating up a storm. Now granted, I had a glass of wine, some pizza, and shared a pretty big gelato with Alysa & Tara for lunch, there is some cause for the sweat (all that sugar, ugh!). But, right now, every inch of me is covered in sweat and that's just disgusting!!!

Someday, I'm sure I'll be able to look back at this and find that it really wasn't as bad as it could have been. But, for now... that seems highly unlikely. Perhaps the most interesting part of our vacation was going to the Basilica de Santa Maria. (In case you can't read Italian, here's the website in english!) I think there's actually a longer name for it... at least that's what the website indicates! I took lots and lots of pictures... and even said a prayer while I was there too. I prayed to my family's patron saint, St. Anthony and St. Christopher (he's the patron saint of travellers, in case you didn't know!). Seemed like we might need all the help we can get given that this was the first of our many excursions.

From there, we at lunch at a cute "snack bar" where we munched on an Antipasto appetizer (basically a plate full of meat-- duh), some pizza, a cannoli, and as if that weren't enough-- a huge gelato! I'll have to show you the pic once Alysa sends it to me! Then, we decided it was about time to be making our way back to the airport-- and that's where the immense sweating recommences. Currently, we're in Athens, Greece-- peacefully resting in the arrival hall. Alysa didn't sleep at all last night-- so I think she's finally getting some much needed rest. I can't believe it's almost 2am and I am wide awake! It's almost irritating to think about!

Amazingly enough, I have to tell you about something I'm almost ashamed to admit! I am in DESPERATE need of a shower! Basically, we rolled into the airport and had a luggage scare. Tara's bag didn't come in on our flight in, but luckily...it actually came in on an earlier flight. After deciding there was NO WAY we could afford the four-star hotel located at the airport, we marched into the bathrooms in the airport and proceeded to "shower" as best we could. I can't believe I've been wearing the same pants for three days! Argh! I mean, I guess it's only really bad because of the sweat and dirt we've encountered. I can now honestly say that I could never be one of those people who can backpack through Europe... I love showers too much!

So, Happy 4th of July... to all those who could experience it... Even though it's 2:05am in Greece, it's only 7pm in the US. :)

No comments: