Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Happy" Valley...

Having lived in Happy Valley for a little over five years (five years, eight months to be exact), very little of what goes on here actually surprises me anymore.

For example, I have reconciled with the fact that I attend the #6 party school in the nation (formerly #3 a couple of years ago... don't ask me what happened!) and that somehow, the students who live hear are working diligently towards actually trying to regain that higher status by partying the days and nights away. I've also finally gotten used to the fact that Atherton St. will always be a source of strife because of the traffic that tends to back up when you start to get to either Park Ave. or College/Beaver Aves. This is the problem w/ one way streets and a campus that is the center of town-- but you learn to live with it. Finally, despite my issues with 322 and all things interstate, I'm happy to report that they're making progress. It's kind of interesting that it's taken this long-- but it almost seems like it's almost directly related to my progress with my dissertation! Maybe if I finish this endeavor, PennDOT will finish theirs as well!

Sooo... there's really more of a purpose to writing this blog than to just recount incidences as these! Today, while driving home from church (ha! a MIRACLE!), I was turning to get on 322 when I noticed all of these "smiley faces" spray painted on the barriers between the lanes. I'm pretty sure PennDOT didn't do that, and I was amused that they varied in how they were placed and whether or not they were right-side up or upside down! I guess there was some purpose to reminding people that they are in Happy Valley and should be happy to live here, or at least to have been visiting here.

Anyways, I'm sure this all seems nonsensical... but I was amused. Someday, if I have the chance... I'll snap a photo for your enjoyment so you can actually see how whimsical things here in Happy Valley are and can actually be. :)

No comments: