Monday, April 21, 2008

Today IS Monday...

If you know me at all, you know that one belief I hold fast to is that there is always a "Monday" in a given week. Occasionally, you don't have a "Monday" on the actual day itself... but it sneaks in to a Tuesday, or maybe even a Friday. Such is fate...

Today, on the other hand, "Monday" actually fell on the day that it was supposed to. And, this might actually pay off in the end-- but we won't know until later this week!

This morning I woke up on my own at 7:30am. This is not normal... believe me. Although there was the immediate perk of being able to play around on the internet about 30 minutes longer than I would normally be allowed to-- I found most of that time wasted cleaning out "contacts" on the Gmail. Now, don't get me wrong... I adore Gmail. What I do not adore is that any email address you send a message to is automatically stored as a contact in your "contacts" folder. Now, I'm sure there is some setting to turn this off (and if you know it, PUH-LEESE let me know so I can turn this feature off!)... but I wasn't going to figure out how to do that in the 45 minutes I now had to shower and head off to school for data collection.

Once I finally made it in, I was greeted by the fact that I was short on a) consent forms and b) the other version of the survey that I'm using for my dissertation. This would not normally be such an issue, but yours truly managed to jam the copier with 10 minutes to get to her first round of appointments. Yeah, I know... I'm a Lara and that means I'm always gonna be at least 15 minutes late where ever I go (sigh). After pleading w/ one of my secretaries to remedy the situation, I head off to the other available copier and run out of the building w/ five minutes to spare... bwah-ha-ha! Enough time to grab a Daily Collegian and still make it there!

You'll be happy to know that yes, I did make it and no, not everyone who was supposed to show up did. But, I managed to catch up on campus news and create a nifty way of keeping track of these participants in the time that I did have. Go me! Now, if the rest of the day went as smoothly... I wouldn't be telling you all about it! Turns out that apparently the heat is still on in every building here on campus and most of the windows in the building that I was stuck in are sealed shut. Isn't that a hazard/safety violation somewhere? Eek! If I wasn't a sweaty mess before, I was certainly one until today at about 1:45-- when my last participant was done.

There is a silver lining though to being stuck in this building... I wasn't stuck in my office for two hours with no power like my office mate was. You would think she would have gotten the idea and headed home. That's what I would have done... seriously.

Although my day is almost over, I am now slightly bummed at the fact I am back at school to judge a public speaking contest-- when really, I have far better things I could be doing. I think we should get some sort of perk for this... and I'm not joking. It's the end of the semester, I have a syllabus to plan for the summer, packing to do for a brief trip out of town tomorrow and Wednesday, and other stuff to manage (like my dissertation!) as well. You would think that someone would have figured out that this is not a good time to do this... or to reward the people that do to encourage us to keep participating. (Can I at least get a Diet Pepsi???)

Any-who, the day has come to an end and it's about that time to tie up some loose ends on a few things here at home (ahhh... home at last!). I hope your Monday was less hectic than mine and still brings the promise of a wonderful week. :)


No comments: