Friday, August 15, 2008

Living alone...

This marks the first full week that I have lived on my own in my apartment. And for that I say, "Yay me!"

I have been blessed with "roommates" (relatives or otherwise) for a good part of my life, and this is the first opportunity that I have had to actually live by myself. Whether or not I can actually afford to do so remains to be seen (I'll let you know after next month), but all I know is that given how expensive moving is... I won't be moving anytime soon.

As I write this, I am sitting in my office. Yes, that's right. My office. I've never had one of these before... Usually, I am stuck with a computer and a desk in my bedroom. Now that I've made the switch, I may never go back! Ha! It's actually kind of nice to separate myself "work-wise" from the normal "procrastinator" that I usually am. I mean, I have actually started to feel some guilt about sitting in front of the television as often as I have (Olympics watching not included... you have to watch that stuff). Also, when I turn off the light and leave the office (which I did this week while grading), I am truly "done" for the evening. I don't find myself lying in bed staring at a computer knowing that there are things I'm not yet finished with that need to be done. Instead, I can now tell myself that there is tomorrow for such deeds.

The hard part will now be limiting that statement to occur only when work has actually been done... not just to procrastinate (as mentioned before).

I think for the most part that I am finally in a good state in so far as trying to actually "furnish" my apartment. It was amazing to see how much stuff I had accumulated over time to prepare myself for this without actually realizing it. I mean, I moved here with plenty of pots and pans, dishes, silverware, and glasses; and over time accumulated things like sheets, towels, comforters, etc. I guess it's a good thing that I had done so much of this over time rather than at the last minute! Granted, there were a few things that I didn't have immediately... and I made many, many trips to Target and Wal-Mart to get those things taken care of. So many in fact, that I have become one of Target's preferred shoppers. (Well, at least I would be if that program actually existed.)

I think the hardest part to adjust to will be the fact that is just me, only me and no one else living here. I will be my own worst enemy when it comes to distractions. :) Well, that and digital cable! Hooray for "On Demand"! My new best friend! I am going to have to learn to not bother others simply to "play" when I should be working and to also learn to be comfortable in my own skin.

I don't think it will be impossible, do you?

No comments: