Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Baby fever...

I guess I should clarify the title of this blog... you see, it's not me that has the baby fever!

Instead, it seems apparent that I know quite a few people who are pregnant or have recently delivered babies. In fact, my friend Julie is scheduled to deliver her baby girl Teagan on Wednesday. Another friend of mine revealed not long ago that she is expecting... but we won't know what she is having for a little while longer (she's only 14 weeks along at this point). I had a cousin who also just delivered her baby girl earlier in the month... and one of my sister's good friends growing up should be delivering her baby boy this week (I think). And a colleague in my department should be delivering her first baby very, very soon too.

So what is up with all these babies???

I guess if we count backwards nine months we can conclude that there were a lot of people getting busy over the new year! Perhaps when it's super cold (does it get cold in Austin, TX?), people find the motivation to snuggle a little closer than usual. All I know is that it is getting a bit strange that so many people I know have baby fever.

I know a couple of other friends who will be trying to get pregnant again soon and some that have been trying for awhile. Sadly, as someone who is trying NOT to get pregnant, the only kind words I have for them is "Hang in there!" I don't even know if this is comforting coming from someone like me who is nowhere near being ready for marriage, much less children.

I think it's pretty nice that I am blessed with parents who haven't been pushing the issue though. I mean, first off... they have been great about not wondering when their daughter is going to tie the knot already. Granted, the boy and I have only been dating about three years (is that all?!?!), and we both have some goals we want to achieve before we even think about that. Now, that doesn't mean I get a little twinge of envy every time I do hear about someone I know getting engaged... but hey, what can you do? I guess push forward and try to get that degree over and done with.

The other thing that they have been pretty cool about is the issue of children. My sister has been pretty adamant thus far about not wanting ANY children whatsoever. Amazingly enough, I think she really and truly means it and is not likely to change her mind. I don't think it's that she doesn't like children, that girl has way more babysitting experience than I do... but I think she just wasn't blessed with the patience that people require to have children. She wants to play, but she wants to give them back when she's done playing.

As for me, I flip-flop back and forth on this issue quite a bit. Somedays, I am pretty sure that I want a little one (or two) in my life... and it doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl. Then, I have to go to Wal-Mart, Wegmans, Target, or some other majorly big store where I hear the scream of a child or the whine of a little one and I seriously begin to reconsider if it's something I even want to bother with. It's in those moments of serious aggravation and lack of concentration where I think that two children of the canine variety is really where it's at.

And yes, I think that regardless... the boy and I will most likely have canine children. He can either have his Sharpei or Miniature Schnauzer and I will have my West Highland Terrier. Ironically, his breeds adjust well to children... mine, not so much. Westies, like their owners, like to be the center of attention. :)

Well, maybe just a little bit...

I digress though! This post is about BABIES not DOGS! Well, in any case... I sincerely hope that there is nothing in the water in so far as people getting pregnant and having babies (at least up here in Happy Valley).

But, to everyone who is a new parent... congrats! And, I wish you and your little one(s) nothing but love, joy and laughter through all your days...

No comments: