This post finds yours truly in San Diego, CA for the 94th(?) annual NCA conference. In case you don't happen to know what NCA stands for... it's the National Communication Association. Once a year, all the bigwigs of speech communication and mass communications come together to enlighten one another on all the research that they (or their research assistants) have been doing for the past year and then there's also some intense schmoozing on top of that too.
Why am I here, you ask? Well... my friend Alysa and I managed to get a paper accepted here and it's going to be presented on SUNDAY. So, between that and the job fair that is supposed to last for a little while tomorrow... I really don't know what the heck I'm doing here honestly. Well, I suppose it doesn't help that I committed to coming to this conference back in September-- to the point of finding lodging w/ a girl in my department. And, I would have hated to leave her high and dry and without someone to occupy the room.
In any case, I suppose it's not a big problem because really...I've never been to California before and I'm always up for an adventure. I don't know what the future holds for me in terms of a job or travel funding at that job... so I figured I would take advantage of PSU's generosity before I lose it and forget to use it. So, that meant getting up super early to head out of BWI at noon and then a three hour layover in Houston where I actually ran into Kori, a fellow ADPi, on her way to see LSU geaux at it with Ole Miss. :) Hooray for random meetings in airports... you gotta love Texas for that.
Today is the first official day of the conference and I'm waiting on my pal Mary to go and walk with me over to the conference hotel so I can scout out what's going on over there before deciding to ditch it completely and head to the San Diego Zoo (it's WORLD FAMOUS!) instead.
I keed! I keed!
Besides, I have every intent of being an ACTIVE participant (there are people watching to make sure that I am!) at other people's panels... including close friends and my advisor. He actually is presenting a paper on Alzheimer's that I'd like to hear more about. I just hope I didn't miss it today.
If nothing else, I am at least grateful to escape State College's chilly weather in favor of some sunshine and haze (yes, San Diego is a little hazy at times). But at least the temperature is 74 and I don't care who you are, you can't complain about that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I wasn't disappointed that I got rejected until now - we could have hung out in CA!!!
Post a Comment