Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Ups and downs...

Sometimes I feel as though I lay a lot of emotions on you dear audience, but hey... I think I try to rebound with some "less serious" entries occasionally as well. So, although you frequently hear of the angst I go through as I make the re-transition to PA life from Texas life, today's post is a little different. So, I ask you a question:

How do you break up with a friend?

I don't want to relay too much of the details about this situation, but if you know me at all you know what I'm talking about. I spent most of a recent weekend asking how I could manage to stay friends with someone I really have nothing in common with... that I get little to no benefit from and that frustrates me more than overjoys me. There must have been something there initially, but for whatever reason... it just doesn't work anymore. I have to admit that I am a big believer in karma: what goes around, often comes around. Do good things for others and they will do good things for you. I have helped this friend out in so many ways and I never did it for the purpose of being able to say "We're even". But, the more I think of it... I can't even say "We're almost even" or even "How about we call it a draw?"

I feel bad for every friend and family member whom I've plagued with the situation over the years. And even though they ask me how I can still manage to stick around, they have never told me how the heck to get out. I guess somehow it should just come to you, but it hasn't to me yet.

(Amazingly enough...Google reveals that CNN.com knows how to get it done!)

I would like to be able to just "fade out" this friendship, but I get the feeling that it's going to take some hard work to make that happen. Who knows, maybe it won't!

On a more positive note... I am really enjoying my LEAPers this semester. One class has some super-enthusiastic young women in it and I really enjoy them a lot. They have really made an effort to participate and I have a lot of fun with them. The other class and I get along well too, but they have a more "quiet" personality than my first group. They're all super nice though. Today I revealed to them that I have a "Book with all the Faces" page and they were thrilled. So far, only two friend requests... but since I promised not to nag them about "less than stellar pics" (read: pics that really shouldn't be posted anywhere), I am sure there will be more to come in the next few days.

Another thing to be joyful about is the fact that my car will not be requiring major repairs after all. It had to be taken into the shop today for an oil change and because my A/C decided to "crap out" (momentarily it seems) on Sunday, it had to be looked at. Once again, I really lucked out and all was well. Perhaps it was just the overwhelming muggy weather that made it "mad". You can argue that cars don't have personalities, well... MINE DOES.

Finally, I have decided to try to make a lifestyle change...

Some of you know that I curse like a sailor... even when I don't mean to (but not when I'm teaching... I always maintain professional communication in the classroom). My mother used to joke (ha ha) that if I didn't stop cursing, she was going to make me go and work for the phone company so I would actually have something to curse about. Well, I have yet to apply... and I don't think I'll be working there any time soon. (Especially since she's close to retirement.) That being said, my "favorite pirate" pointed out to me the other day that my mouth has lately been more foul than usual and that I might want to think about that.

(sigh)

Okay, okay... I get the hint. I guess it's time to break out the swear jar again! I tried this once before with my roommates and it worked pretty well... but not so well as to make me stop completely (obviously). However, if someone has any other suggestions for how to break this bad habit, then PUH-LEESE pass them along!

No comments: