Monday, May 11, 2009

Where do the days go?

So, as you can tell... I tend to blog at least twice a week. (If you can really call it that...) Clearly, I forgot to do my "Friday Fill-In", but I promise I have a really good reason for that!

My mom celebrated her retirement from her job after almost 30 years working at the same place, and as a "reward" (is that what they call it?)-- she invited some peeps to go to Stella's for dinner. Amazingly enough, things went over quite well... with the exception of the competition for getting our dinner before everyone else who was there because of Tech graduation weekend. :) You'll be happy to know that we were only there three hours eating instead of the predicted six. And... the food was still yummy.

In addition to retirement festivities, my mom's friend came in from Austin to watch her son graduate with his M.B.A. in Accounting (Go Garrett!) and to help celebrate Mother's Day with us. :) That's right, hopefully... you remembered to call and thank your mom yesterday (if you were able to!) for everything she has done for you.

So, in lieu of the typical "Monday Meme"... I thought I would say a little about my mom before continuing on with the title of this blog.

Everyone says that their mom is the greatest, but I have to admit that it took becoming an adult to really realize that. My mom isn't the greatest because she's a good cook, baker, buys me things when I want them, spoils me rotten, is a pushover, etc. In fact, of those things I listed... the cook and baker pretty much are the only things that apply. :) The reason I love my mom as much as I do is because she is a fighter.

I never appreciated how strict and hard my parents were to get along with until I stopped and looked in the mirror and realized how far I'd come in the life I've been given. Here I am, 30 years old, almost finished with my Ph.D, fairly independent, a world traveler (of sorts), someone who is strong in her faith, and will stand her ground when pushed. These characteristics I owe in large part to her parenting skills... she always taught us not to settle for second best, to accept the "leftovers" people wanted to give, or lame excuses. She taught us the importance of God first, family second, and GOOD friends third. And, with that... if one of those three things were lacking, then we weren't a complete person. She taught us to fight for what we believe in, to think for ourselves, and to never let anyone stand in the way of what we want or deserve... because we are entitled to it. I have to admit, she is sometimes my biggest obstacle (she doesn't take crap from me or anyone else!) and always my biggest cheerleader (because sometimes the people in grad school and the world can be mean!).

So, maybe she wasn't the stay at home mom others had, and I didn't come home to cookies and milk on the table, but I got more than those people did. I got a mother who challenged me to be the best and didn't coddle me or let me feel sorry for myself longer than necessary. Although she is only 5'0"... she IS and WILL ALWAYS be the BIGGEST and STRONGEST person I know. And, I truly admire that. She will always put her family first before herself (even though now we are trying to tell her it's okay to think of yourself first... YOU'RE RETIRED!). She will always honor and respect her elders and follow the lessons that she learned from her mother and grandmother... and that she has whispered (read: YELLED) in our ear for so many years now. She will always be the first to step up and go to battle for you, but if it's your fault... she will be the first to also go, "What were you thinking?"

I could honestly go on and on... but I almost feel I don't have to. If you've met her at all, you probably have a good idea about who she is and the type of woman she is and has always been.

So, where do the days go?

That's a good question. Maybe I should go and ask my mom. :)


No comments: