Monday, June 12, 2006

Getting back in the habit...

Being healthy is a good thing. This has been proven time and time again by countless agencies, physicians, and exercise gurus... and yet, never has such a movement met such blatant resistance. I have to admit, that although I desire the physique and body type of models and movie stars everywhere... I am probably chief in command when it comes to the refusal to a) eat right and b) exercise. Every now and then I go through this phase when I become thoroughly disgusted with my figure and eating habits and decide to kick the bad habits that have taken over.

Now, this wouldn't be such a feat except I am a "fat kid" by nature. There is nothing wrong with being a fat kid. Simply put, in my opinion, they are someone who has a love of food and although they might overindulge sometimes... for the most part, they are just in it for the foods they love the most. I happen to LOVE potatoes... anything potato-oriented: potato salad, mashed potatoes, FRENCH FRIES (particularly McDonald's... ooh salt!)... yeah, there's my weakness. Ironically, I have no problem with desserts. I don't really eat them because they were never really around when I was growing up. There was never a constant supply of ice cream and treats in my house then... but if you went to my parents' house now, you'd see this mentality has changed. I swear, I take two steps in their front door and I gain 10 pounds. Perhaps this is because as a poor grad student, I simply don't have the funds to sustain a grocery list with things like packets of wheat thins & the occasional Little Debbie snacks.

However, I have now decided... especially given that the trip to Greece (see my MySpace page for the countdown!) is getting really, really close, I need to get back in the habit of walking/running & EATING RIGHT. So far, I have been either walking or running for the past two days. Although that doesn't seem like a lot, it's got to start somewhere, right? I figure that with a little over three weeks to go, surely I can make somewhat of a change in that amount of time.

So... wish me luck, dear readers! This will truly be a challenge and a half for me! I'll keep you posted with the results... happy health for now!

No comments: