Friday, June 23, 2006

A road I've travelled a hundred times before...

Okay, so that claim... put forth within the title, is actually a little exaggerated. But, anyone who really knows me will tell you that there for awhile, I was practically on my way to becoming a resident of the state of Virginia (or Maryland... depending on when you caught me). But, with a change in situation comes a reaction to that, and hence-- most of my desire to hit the open road and travel 270 to come down to this beautiful area was stifled. Read: I had a class that went later than 4pm and after 4pm on a Friday, it ain't worth it to try to leave State College.

Yeah, yeah... all this education and I still use the word "ain't". I'm Texan. Go away.

Just kidding.

Seriously.

The other interesting things about these trips is that they take me past the wonderful Mason-Dixon line. Now, in case you don't know what the Mason-Dixon line is, you should click on that link I've created and read all about it. It is an important part of American history that basically breaks down to this: it was the line that divided the North from the South during the 1800's and Civil War era. When I first moved here, when I crossed that "line" I felt as if I was going home... or at least back where I wanted to be: SOUTH. So, when my friend Bonny took me to MD for my first summer home, I decided then and there in that car trip I wanted a picture of that sign. Now, I think I got one awhile back on a 35mm disposable camera at some point, but I'm sure said camera is lost now. Being the creative genius that I am, I decided that I was going to take one at this time in my trip. Yeah, well... it didn't happen. I took the darn pic too soon and this was what I got. See that little piece of gray on the right? The sign is RIGHT THERE AND I MISSED IT. Well, let's be honest... it's a little hard to concentrate on driving and picture taking at the same time. I guess if something had to give, at least it wasn't my efficient driving skills. :)

So, yesterday was also the last day of class for my 100A students. And I have to give them props for being very cooperative with me and my frustrations this summer session. I usually feel that for the most part I am ready to give 100% to them, but this session... they were lucky to get me at 85% most times. Now, this might not make a difference to you, but when you are someone who loves teaching this age group as much as I do... you just begin to feel as if something isn't right. Well, you wouldn't know from this picture that they were ever frustrated with me and I am thankful to them for that. What's even more awesome is getting people who tell you that this was such a fun class and that they were completely afraid of what it could have been. But that somehow, you made it different and not so bad. That part completely thrills me and reminds me exactly what I am here in grad school for. I have always been fortunate to have professors that have inspired me to the best I can because I saw the impact they had on their students or showed be what not to do because they didn't respect the relationship they have with their students. I know we as people of higher education reach a point where we consider ourselves "experts", but like it says on my MySpace page quote says...

"My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared." ~ PJ Plauger

I guess at this point I feel that at some point, you should be completely sure of the knowledge you have and that you are a qualified person to be doing what you are doing. But... as it goes in the business world, remember that there is someone out there who is more educated, more hungry to learn, and more willing to stay on top of their stuff. And sometimes, we encourage our own students to seek to "beat us out" so to speak because we don't respect their intelligence when we often should. Now, if only I could get the slackers from some of my classes to get to that point... that's where the challenge lies!

So, I guess in the end... I have to look at students like these and be pretty grateful that I got ones who did care enough in the end to stick with the challenges that I often threw at them. So, I dedicate this post to Sec. 103 of Summer 2006... and I mean it when I say, thanks for making my summer truly sunny.

No comments: