Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hitting a bit close to home...

Today was a good day. I have to start out by saying this because otherwise, you'll think I was in a mopey mood all day long, and that just isn't so. I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be a good day, just in case you were wondering if this is going to be a recurring thing. It isn't.

Today I went to see The Break-Up. You know, that new Vince Vaughn & Jennifer Aniston movie. Now, Vince happens to be one of my favorite actors... I mean, he's pretty hilarious... and reminds me a lot of my current boyfriend. In a good way, not in the creepy, sleazy, hitting-on-every-girl-he sees kinda away a la Old School & Wedding Crashers... but in a way that you could clearly see in this movie. I kinda believe that within this flick, you got a chance to see what life would be like for Vince and Jen if they were just "normal people"... or maybe the lives they do lead when the doors are closed and the curtains drawn.

As you can tell from the title, there is a pretty simple plot line here. However, amazingly enough... these directors managed to get it as close to true life (well, my life at least) as possible. I was sitting there, in the theatre going... wow. I felt as if they were the most realistic arguments and emotions to take place within a movie about relationships. Now, I say this as a person who has been fascinated with communication in relationships... particularly conflict, and now infidelity and so throughout this movie I found myself going... I am going to have to buy it simply for teaching purposes.

But, there was a bigger point to this movie that really struck me. And that was the fact that I, myself have very recently lived through this scenario. And I have to admit, it was painful to watch. To you, it might not seem like a big deal... or one that is likely to happen. But it did, to me. Time has passed, but perhaps the scars are still a little tender... the memories still a little too close to the surface. It made me sad to think that art did imitate life in this case... but also, gave me a little hope.

Things may never be the same between people whose relationship has "gone south" or dissolved, if you want to get technical. But the thought is... forgiveness is key. Understanding is essential. Time makes us different people... and gives us new perspectives as we grow older. I would like to think that all break-ups can end in good ways, that we learn to see clearly, forgive and forget. But, sometimes... that just isn't the case.

I guess, in the end... all we can hope for or strive for is to learn to be caring and compassionate people, even when it is impossible or seems impossible to do so.

I have to remember that I'm only human... so, to be honest, I'll let you know when I manage to actually do that. :-)

P.S. In case you were interested... four days in a row of running! :-) The healthy me is coming! I can feel it!

No comments: