Saturday, June 10, 2006

Issues with body hair... or more ranting about stuff

It occurred to me the other day that I haven't been utilizing my blog to it's full potential. I have noticed others sharing the mundane and not-so-mundane thought that preoccupy their minds and I began to wonder. Why am I only saving the entries for vacation related stuff? I mean, doesn't the title "Risé's Random Adventures" imply that regardless of whether or not I actually LEAVE Happy Valley that I should be allowed to share any and almost everything???

Yeah, that's what I thought! I also figured that I might convince more people to read it if they had a better sense that I did have a life outside of travelling... I mean, don't get me wrong. Travel is a very important part of my life. I love to travel... in a plane, in my car... and perhaps, even sometime in the distant future... a boat. But not a bus. I refuse to ride a bus cross-country. Trains are good... did I tell you about the time I rode a train?

But, I digress.

Today's posting finds me in recovery in a battle with issues concerning the appropriate amount of body hair. Now, let me proceed by saying that regardless of where exactly the body hair may be located, society seems to have a problem with me (well, or women in general) having it anywhere that it shouldn't be. Like... the whole shaving of the legs thing. Boo to that. I think it's unfair that I am expected to hike my leg up on the wall of the stall shower the geniuses who designed my townhouse (yeah, remember those jerks? a/c issues abound...) installed for the explicit purpose of having hairless legs. Or, I know countless friends who subject themselves to the torture of waxing their eyebrows or worse... their "bikini area".

The other day, some friends of mine and I were having a conversation about that. Why is it up to everyone else to decide what looks good on our bodies? Of course, I have to admit... I could probably just as easily go around looking like King Kong (on my legs at least!) as I can sans-hair. I mean, I don't expect Caesar or any other guy to shave their legs or take care of their "bikini region". As if they even wear bikinis. Ha!

I suppose I should admit where this frustration is coming from... the lack of finding the most cost-effective, PAINLESS, and effective way to remove your excess body hair. I don't care what they say... that Nair stuff may look great on the commercials, but I know victims with highly irritated skin who had to make emergency trips to the Walgreen's/Eckerd's/CVS after their experience with that stuff. And... wax? Yeah, that's just real fun... place something that's really warm (or sometimes too hot) on my skin and then jerk that hair out by it's root. Still not any better. And let's be honest! Tweezing sometimes takes FOREVER.

Looks like there is no solution short of electrolysis... and then from there we've eliminated cost-effectiveness.

Oh well... until my next rant, I remain really hairy and proud of it. :)

No comments: