***Just so you know, the brilliant inspiration for this blog came to me while I was "holding" for a bank representative to assist me... and so this posting is dedicated to the hardworking call center associates of Bank of America. Is it really only two minutes more when they tell you that four times???***
As the time grows closer and closer for me to begin my trip to Greece, I have noticed that there has never been as much preparation necessary as there has been for this trip! I mean, wouldn't it be beautiful if all that were required of international travel was that you had your passport ready and the finances necessary to sustain your good time abroad? Ha! I wish! Amazingly enough, I discovered that not only do you need your passport in tow... there are a hundred other things you have to do before heading on an excursion such as this!
First, let's think about the simple "email" aspects of this... I am an email/internet junkie. I am so connected through the internet, that even when I'm away from a computer (like in Canada, for example), I feel the need to hunt for an internet portal through which I can search-- even if only for a few minutes. So, this means that as of Monday-- my emails (meaning: all email accounts) will have to have the vacation settings activated just in case someone actually needs to get in touch with me and I am unable to reach them. Yeah, pain in the... you know.
Second. The "drugstore shopping aspects. Who knew that when you decided to travel, that you'd better bring your entire medicine cabinet with you. I mean, you have to think about and anticipate ANY and ALL ailments which might occur while you are away. I mean, this can happen anywhere... I could be in Bellefonte and get a tummy ache, but at least I know where the Save-A-Lot is. Here in State College, I have Wal-Mart, Giant, Wegmans', Target, Eckerd, CVS, and a ton of other places I could run if I desperately needed to do so. Now, this is probably likely in Rome as well, or at any of the other airports... but I'm a little more nervous thinking about Crete. I mean, what if I get a tummy ache and the nearest pharmacy (or whatever you call them in greek...) is like, 20 miles away in Heraklion??? In response to this scary possibility, the girls and I are taking a trip to Target to stock up! Better to be prepared than risk it in my opinion.
Third. Calling your banks. Okay, so I'll admit... I'm a novice at this travelling abroad thing. While most of my friends were fortunate to do the study abroad/backpack in Europe thing, I didn't. The closest I could say I went to Paris, was Paris... TEXAS. Well, and even that's pretty far out there to be honest with you. I was told on Monday by one of my other banks that I would need to notify them of when I was leaving, where I was going, and how long I'd be gone so that I would have no problems when using my funds. Geez louise! Talk about Big BRother being able to keep tabs on you regardless! I guess this is a good thing though... I would hate to think they wouldn't get suspicious when all of a sudden purchases in Rome, Italy started showing up and the last one was in State College, PA. Yeah, how often does that happen. On the other hand, I didn't realize it was possible to track me and my travels simply through my purchases alone.
Fourth. The passport/airport issues. I didn't realize that I should leave copies of my passport with my family and somewhere else on my person. Wow. I guess it helps when you read the instructions, huh? So, today at some point, I'll need to head up to school to make copies of this stuff... otherwise, I'm just using my scanner. And don't even get me started on the airport... I've always been concerned about what shoes to wear during travel (comfy flip-flops all the way!), but now I've been told that my underwire bras could now pose a problem. Great. Just great. So, either I sag my way all the way to Europe or I'm detained for five more minutes than usual. I'll just take my chances... momma didn't raise no fool.
Fifth. Learning a new time zone. Yeah, that's right-- I'm thinking that Rome & Crete are at least six hours ahead of our time here. Disadvantage while going there: losing that much time. Advantage: coming home and gaining that much time. Disadvantage: a disrupted sleep schedule. Luckily, my friend Leia offered some good recommendations for how to beat the jet lag. And I have to say that's pretty important considering once I get back, I pretty much have little to no time to unpack, do laundry, and then repack for my trip home for the summer. Whew!
So, once again... if I've missed anything, someone should let me know. I mean, I could rant about the language barrier, but I've got some trusty phrasebooks that I can use... kind of. : ) Besides, that's the cool part of going somewhere outside the country right???
Hasta luego, bon voyage, and here we go! Greece baby!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment