Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween and all things RED AND BLACK!

Happy Halloween dear readers!

Today, I got my FIRST EVER trick-or-treaters here in State College! I realize that I have lived here for about six years, but I'm guessing many parents hesitate before letting their little ones out in a clearly college-student oriented apartment complex. Do you blame them? Me, not so much... in fact, I thought that here in Happy Valley that they actually did Halloween on the day before to avoid possible run-ins with "festive" college students and little ones who probably don't need to be influenced by such scary behavior. Maybe the three trick-or-treaters that I got are just out in the complex that I live in because it's CLEARLY a bunch of older adults who live here-- and luckily, I happen to have leftover candy from the bunch I took for my students earlier today.

Aren't I such a nice teacher? :)

I was telling The Boy yesterday that of all the holidays that we celebrate here in the US, Halloween is actually my least favorite one. I mean, I take joy in the fact that other people clearly get super excited about it-- to the point where they have great costumes and whatnot (like my sister!), but me... eh, I'm happy not dressing up and just chilling with the candy. However, there is something else that does make me significantly happy about the Halloween weekend and that's the fact that it is the culmination of Tech-UT week!

That's right... it is Blackout UT week in Raiderland!

This is SO significant this year because for the first time in about 30 years, Texas Tech is ranked #7 and there is a good shot that we might actually be able to BEAT UT this year! I made The Boy send me this year's Blackout t-shirt and if you haven't seen the one that Red Raider Outfitter did, I suggest you go and take a look at it. It's pretty cool...

I think that Raiderland is experiencing the excitement that PSU gets every weekend for their games for the first time ever! Every Red Raider fan is SUPER pumped and is crossing their fingers (and probably toes too!) that we beat those Longhorns this year-- and with Harrell and Crabtree on our team in addition to the SWARM defense, we just might do it. This week, TTU started their own "Raiderville" and COLLEGE GAMEDAY is in Lubbock for the first time ever!

What a lot of firsts for this week! I have been trying to get a lot of loyal Nittany Lions and Auburn Tigers to cheer for the Red and Black this week... and if nothing else, those Nittany Lions have a VERY good reason to get behind the Red and Black! A win against UT would mean quite a shift in the BCS polls and could take PSU to either the #1 or #2 spot-- depending on Alabama's weekend as well. Then again, 'Bama is playing Arkansas State, so it should be an easy win... but football miracles always happen on Saturdays, so you NEVER know what to expect!

Either way, throw those GUNS UP, cheer for your TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS, and enjoy all those treats you gather this evening! :)


No comments: