Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My friend the Mailman...

My mailman and I have an interesting relationship. It all started when I was moving in and he started shouting loudly in the hallway "Who's moving in? Where is the new tenant of Apartment #1?"

Amazingly enough, I have yet to get his name... and you would think that anyone who would cause that much noise trying to figure out who I am would have given me HIS name. :) Throughout my time here in my new place (is it still "new" after three months?) he has been someone who has left interesting packages at my door and brought the joy that only Netflix movies can bring. And yet, when I see him... he's usually pleasant and now that the weather has become chillier... he teases me about what the weather in Texas must be like.

But the whole reason that I was inspired to write this post was because of how wonderfully NOSY he is. I arrived home the other day and was taking my time getting my MANY bags (school bag, gym bag, etc.) out of my car when I noticed him walking towards me and my vehicle. Basically, our encounter boiled down to him reporting (admitting?) he had placed mail in my mailbox which didn't belong to me and that if I didn't want it... I could just put it on top with the rest of the mail. Because he took the time to notice that a) I received an electric bill that didn't have my name on it and b) reminded me what I could do with it... I figured I'd indulge him with the fact that YES, I know the name on that letter. And... YES, I am trying to take care of an old bill.

Now I'm sure I gave him more info than he needed or even wanted to hear... but you get the idea. I mean, what an interesting man! I put a lot of mail out the next day just to float his boat and make him wonder where the heck all my stamps are going (mostly to Texas!). But either way, hooray for my mailman and I hope that he continues to bring me fun stuff... and NO BILLS.

Think I can negotiate that with him?

No comments: