Have you ever heard the expression, “The early bird gets the worm”?
Today, I am that bird.
In EST it’s 7:35am—which means that here in Texas, I am awake and it’s 6:35am. And that makes me wonder, what the heck am I doing up so early? Could this be attributed to the fact that I have a great aunt who thinks that you are wasting the day if you are not up by 4am? Good grief. I suppose I shouldn’t complain, but that I should appreciate the fact that she is a member of a generation who was up early to work, the work sustained the family, and every family member contributed. This is a great-aunt who can recall stories of her family getting up early to do cotton picking or whatever work that was needed to sustain them… and in her mind, I think you have a hard time de-programming that mentality when it’s what you grew up with.
At the same time, I can share in her sentiment. I always had the hardest time sleeping late when I was younger… and even now. Granted, it’s a little easier to make the decision to do so when you’ve had a late night (whether because of school work or some other “fun” thing). But I can remember being a kid and being up on Saturdays at 6am! I wanted to see the cartoons WHEN THEY STARTED! Even now, I have guilt for sleeping past 8:30am—it seems as if I’m sleeping my life away. But 6:35am? Eeesh… even that’s a little ridiculous for me.
I think that means I’m about to attempt to go back to bed. J
June 4, 2008 (later in the AM- around 10:30 or so)
It’s amazing to me the characteristics of the Hispanic culture that I sometimes forget about because I am surrounded by people who aren’t up where I am nine months out of the year (or more). Today there is talk of going to Pearsall, TX where my dad’s family actually comes from. Pearsall is about an hour from Poth so it’s kind of funny that my mom and dad were so close without even knowing it. I suppose fate is quirky if you think about it.
The sad thing is that the family we are potentially going to see has a member who is suffering from Parkinson’s disease. If you think of all the illnesses that the Hewtty side alone is facing…it makes me a little nervous for any future progeny I might have. And then when you combine the Candelaria genes, I worry even more.
But not really.
If Caesar and I are only going to have dogs, then there is no need to worry about human ailments.
What will be interesting is the drive you must take between Pearsall and Poth… talk about meandering to say the least.





No comments:
Post a Comment