Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Heading down the road...

Today we have decided to head off the beaten path and make our way to San Antonio. Keep in mind I was originally scheduled to leave Texas on Saturday… but… I decided to go ahead and adjust my reservation to leave on Tuesday. After some serious thought, I didn’t really think I wanted to come on this adventure with my parents (my sister is at home b/c of “summer school”, but guess who’s going to the bar tonight with my boyfriend and her friends???)—however, when my mother said, “And you want to get those surveys done, don’t you?” I found I could hardly resist taking the trip after all.

After a brief quabble with my father over the map (“We’ve never taken this way to get to Junction!”), a brief stop at some unknown truck stop in Paint Rock, Texas, and now almost 20 minutes away from Junction, TX… we are almost at our destination. I figure there are about three more hours out there before we actually hit somewhere between Poth, TX and Falls City, TX where my great-aunt lives, so I have some time to actually sit here in the back seat of the suburban and question my mother’s driving skills… and my dad’s desire to retire to a house that has chickens. (Do you hear me rolling my eyes now?) I have argued that they need to pick a place that is somewhat accessible via airport—doesn’t have to be Lubbock, don’t really want it to be Lubbock—but if they want to see their children, son-in-laws (I’m sure someday my sister will meet the man she is REALLY INTENDED to marry), and grandchildren (read: DOGS)… then they had better pick somewhere we can all get to easily. I think at this point, I’ve had it with family vacations that begin and end in a suburban. Besides, I thought we weren’t supposed to be taking these trips anymore since the fallout awhile back??? Perhaps I was wrong.

I find that while you’re sitting here waiting to get where you’re going that your mind tends to wander. For example, I was thinking to myself that this is YEAR SIX of me being “stuck” in Central PA. I am beginning to wonder if getting that mentality out of my head would make a difference in my search for a job that will take me the hell out of there. My friend Kenny would say it’s time for me to give up and officially consider myself a Yankee. However, he should know better. He’s actually DATING a girl who was born and raised in Connecticut! I just consider myself a misplaced Texan (because remember: Texans AREN’T southern!) and tell him he’s full of crap. (But I promise I say it in a much nicer way… I really do like Kenny after all.) To get back to what I was saying though, your mind starts to wander. This is going to be a major year of transition for me… I am going to be moving into an apartment by myself (wowsers!), I am going to find a job that is right for me (I just know it!), and my parents will be moving away from the Hub City after my mother’s retirement (March is right around the corner). There have already been some changes this summer… there was a major shift in our lives thanks to some stuff going on a my dad’s place of work—and that will most likely contribute to the move my parents will be making sooner rather than later. I think this drive has made me wonder when the heck things started to change so much—where did the time go?

Hopefully, by the end of this journey—I’ll have an answer to many of these life questions… or at least a more solid perspective. One can only hope for the best!

No comments: