Thursday, June 05, 2008

Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!

Yesterday, I had every intention of creating an entry that would detail to you how hard the cousins we have in Pearsall have worked for what they have and how much they appreciate it and the family they have. Instead, I was kind of jolted out of that comparison by my mom’s comment of, “They sure do talk about money a lot don’t they?”

After giving this a little thought, I came to the realization that not once did we really hear about how their grandchildren or children are really doing or any personal details that most people immediately share with people that they haven’t seen in awhile. Instead, there was more of a focus on the new business venture that they have started (four years in the making now), where they expect to go with it, and how much profit that they want to turn here within the next few years. I could probably tell you more about this venture than about their family honestly. We did find out that even though our cousin’s battle with Parkinson’s disease is still ongoing—that they are doing the best that they can to fight this disease with all they have. They eat organically (“I would say about 80% of the food we eat is organic”), he takes organic medications, and through the wonderful power of the internets… does research about new treatments and other related information. The most interesting thing about these people is that they both have limited education (I believe one was forced to stop school after the 7th grade and she happens to be dyslexic and didn’t learn to read until later in life), but that has never stopped them from being ambitious with what they want to do or with how much earning power they want to have.

The only thing about this is that I wonder sometimes if their drive for success is based upon personal investment in the projects that they have or by a desire to prove to people how good they are at what they do and what they undertake. Although I’m sure that they would argue that the first supposition is the only one that they care about, I think there must be some of the second one in there too.

ANYWAYS.

Today is my parents’ 32nd wedding anniversary. That means that 32 years ago today these people decided that they would enter into a relationship that would two years later produce yours truly and five years after that would produce my sister. The funny thing is that Caesar and I were looking at their wedding pictures and it was so interesting to see how different weddings were back in the 70s. Today, weddings are not only a coming together for people to recognize the union of two people, but they’re also a HUGE status symbol.

Who can have the bigger wedding?

Who can spend the most money?

Who can have more bridesmaids?

Whose dress cost the most?

These questions go on and on. I can think of friends who have had beautifully simplistic weddings… and there are those who have had such complicated, over-the-top ceremonies that you seriously question how anyone maintained their sanity through this endeavor.

Initially, while in undergrad, I was a HUGE fan of the second type of wedding. I had it planned to a T. Granted, there was no one in their right mind worthy of being my groom at the time, but dammit… I knew exactly what kind of wedding I was going to have when I was ready for it. As I’ve gotten older, some of those details have fallen by the wayside. I’ve lost the desire to have the bouquet you throw being made of smaller bouquets so that others could have a piece instead of just one person. I seriously doubt there will be a need for a bubble machine anymore. And the more I think about it, it seems as if I may only have one bridesmaid (my sister) because everyone else I know is married, working on children, etc. I guess these are the things that you have to deal with when it takes you till your 30 to find the man you truly want to marry.

So, hooray to you mom and dad! I’m glad that you both decided to stick together for this long and God only knows how difficult that it’s been at times. However, I’m sure that as long as you can remember to laugh as much as possible, dance together when you can, and at least spend some time together everyday… that there will only be 32 more years of married life.

No comments: