Friday, February 08, 2008

Day Three without Facebook: STILL SANE (maybe...)

That's right.

Today is DAY THREE that I've been without the MySpace and Facebook and believe it or not, I've been staying strong. I've actually been doing a pretty decent job sticking to my Lenten resolutions! I almost had a moment of weakness in thinking that I might go out for lunch today, but I managed to find 20 minutes to RUN back to my office, heat a frozen dinner, and scarf it down in about 10 minutes. Not that this is always the best way to eat your lunch... but it's only the first week of Lent and I'm really trying hard this time around. Although I've given myself one opportunity to go out to eat each week, I'd really like to try to go without it entirely. It would be better to get back into the habit of cooking for myself again and I'm thinking it might even be healthier too! Imagine that!

I was telling one of my classes about how I'd been doing so far and they were mad because I'd forgotten to turn of the email notifications that let you know when people have left you comments, plants, notes, fish, etc. (Yes Virginia, you can do all of that on the Facebook.) Anyhoo, I can't very well go and change this now... but I promised them I would leave any emails that come from Facebook unopened.

And I mean that too.

I'm sure one of these days I'll get around to asking myself how two websites managed to take control of my life... and most of my free time too. I mean, it's cool that I've been able to "network" with some long lost friends and some of my students, but you almost have to wonder if it's a substitute for actually keeping in touch with people! I think it is... how easy is it to send a "comment" that says hello rather than actually making a phone call or a visit to someone???

Seriously! This was my life just three short days ago!

I can already tell it's vastly improving. I mean, look! I blogged about the DQ Grill and Chill for Pete's sake! Whoa. I think I might need a new life.

Luckily, I am now officially occupied by writing a paper for the Western Speech Communciation Association conference that is in Denver in a week. But before that, I get to spend a weekend in MD at the District Leadership Conference for my sorority. It's one of the perks of being an advisor-- rent a "soccer mom" van and drive seven girls down for a conference so they can learn how to lead the rest of the members.

I'm just hoping it's less dramatic than it was last year... keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: