Q:How can you tell you're in Central PA?
A: There's a line to get into the brand new DQ on its "opening day"
That's right. As I was driving home this evening, I noticed something peculiar. They've (and by they've I mean the owners of the previous DQ) been trying to build and get the new "DQ Grill & Chill" off the ground since sometime last year. There were rumors that it was supposed to have been completed early last summer, but by the time I returned from Texas in August... the only progress they'd made was a giant hole in the ground. This hole lasted for some time too... probably to about late October or early November. Why anyone would start building a new building as winter is approaching is beyond me. It just makes no sense! Then again, I don't control the financing it took to build this venture or the construction companies either. In any case, it was then predicted that the "Grill & Chill" would open in December. Ha! Not when you started construction less than a month ago! Clearly, the "Grand Opening" day was today... ASH WEDNESDAY when a lot of their potential customers can't even eat there because they don't serve fish. Or maybe they do, I don't know. Most fast food places have some sort of "fish sandwich" as to not alienate the Catholics during this time of year; why would DQ be any different?
All I know was that I had to laugh when I saw people waiting in line to get in. I was like... "Dorks!" Then again, I may be the bigger dork for actually posting a blog about it.
You never know.
As it is Ash Wednesday, Lent has officially begun. You can probably recall (especially if you just read my last entry) that for the Lenten season I decided to give up:
1) The Facebook
2) The MySpace
3) Eating out more than one time per week. (Not gonna waste that on the new Grill & Chill just yet!)
As of this evening, I am actually doing all right on all three things! The eating out thing was a little hard not to do today as I was at school later than I'd anticipated and forgot to bring my lunch. Luckily, I had plenty of gum and then I pretty much rushed home and had a bowl of veggie soup (no meat!). The thing that I thought would be even more difficult was actually giving up Facebook & MySpace. The decision to do this was inspired by one of the sorority members who did this as her Lenten sacrifice last year. I thought to myself, "If she can do it, so can I." I have to admit that this was also motivated slightly by some selfish reasons as well... I am in the thick of trying to get my dissertation done and anything that will keep me from being distracted from the work I need to do (such as NOT being able to log into Facebook or MySpace for awhile) can only be a good thing.
So, I guess it's a good thing to always get off to a good start when it comes to Lent. I only hope I can keep up the momentum!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment