First off, let me start by saying that I'm actually a big fan of Valentine's Day.
Not because I'm one of those girls pining after flowers and candy from their secret admirers, but because it's a whole day that is an excuse for you to send silly e-cards and let people know how much you care about them.
That being said, you will be sad to know that I have YET to actually spend a Valentine's Day with my own boyfriend. Sad, huh? I have to chuckle about this though-- and this is part of the reason I believe Cupid can be a little stupid at times.
For quite a long while, I was in a relationship that I know now was only for the sake of being in a relationship. At the time, I thought this person was the one I would most likely spend the rest of my days with... but what was frustrating for me was that he was very often lukewarm about this at best. Certain days he would express his undying love for me. The next day, it was: "You live so far away, I can't be tied down to someone who doesn' t even live in the same time zone as I do." I think he said it less eloquently than this in real life, but this was essentially the message that he was trying to pass along at the time.
Then... HE came. The person who I consider the love of my life. The one who makes me laugh, cry, happy, angry, think, rationalize, frustrated... but overall, OVERJOYED. I think that Cupid was a little goofy... and that's probably why it took so long for this boy to come into my life.
Despite the fact that...
1. We live about 1500 miles away from one another.
2. Get to see one another about two to three times a year if we're lucky
3. Have spent most of our relationship on the phone
4. Are super busy with work AND school (yay for him for going back to school!)
5. Rarely get to see our own families and have to deal with this when we are together
6. He was completely anti-long-distance relationship... UNTIL HE MET ME. :)
... our relationship just works. I don't know exactly why, but it does.
How do you explain the human heart? How can you be so adamant about certain aspects that you can or can't live with in a relationship-- until someone actually makes you think that you could see life differently?
This is how it is with my boy. He makes me see things differently. Now, this does not mean that I have had to sacrifice my goals and ambitions in light of our situation-- but that I have learned to see how two people have to work at a future together.... how we have conversations about things such as jobs, where we'll live, travelling... and everyday things like politics, religion, etc.
You get the idea.
Despite the fact that we are separated by quite an enormous amount of distance... we are as close as we would be if we were standing in the same room.
And for that, I love him and miss him even more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment