Or, at least the writer of this post is! That's right, today I awoke at 6:15am (okay, 6:20-- I wanted five extra minutes!) to find what was the beginning of a big snowfall. I don't think it's really a snowstorm... the wind didn't really blow! :)
Although the National Weather Service reported at 1:45pm that there was only 1.2" of snow on the ground here in Happy Valley, I would have argued differently. The other thing was that once again, classes weren't delayed... or even canceled. I appreciated my students who attempted to empower me once class had begun with statements of, "You have the power to cancel class Risé!" and "We could have really used a snow day today!"; but, alas... I've been down that road before and unless the University makes it so... and I can safely make it to campus (which you wouldn't believe what CATA buses actually will drive through!), then I have no choice but to perform my duty as a University CAS 100 instructor. And c'mon... at least I tried to make class enjoyable! Or, as enjoyable as learning about intros, transitions, and conclusions can be!
I just have to remember to bring the Magic 8 Ball to class on Thursday... I forgot that this morning. Blame it on the snow!
Speaking of which... that link doesn't take you to the actual Mattel "Magic 8 Ball", although I truthfully don't know if that toy even has a website. I am also happy to admit that, appropriately enough for the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday, I am also the owner of the Magic 8 Ball "Date Ball"! Bet you didn't know that existed!
According to Amazon.com... Mattel marketed this with the following:
"MAGIC 8 BALL? DATE BALL? This Magic 8 Ball? has just the answers you need to advise you in dating matters! Ask any question at all and you'll learn what you need to know about that special date. The classic game with an answer for everything about love, romance and dating!"
Wow. I wish I would have known a long time ago that the answer to all things love and romance were solved with this nifty toy. It would have saved me years of heartache trying to find the right guy! Then again, if the boy and I do have romantic issues with one another, perhaps we can use this to solve them!
I honestly don't know if there are any sure fire cures or fix-alls for relationships. I mean, if you look at my dissertation, you could argue that I probably don't believe that there are and that I go looking for them like crazy. :) I can't help that I'm interested in the "dark side" of human communication! It's more interesting I think!
In the meantime, I guess I'd better get back to work.
Wait! I just have to post the message I received regarding all the white-nastiness that lies outside this building...
"With the National Weather Service predicting hazardous weather through Wednesday morning, University employees are reminded that Penn State has hotel rooms available in The Nittany Lion Inn at a special winter weather rate of $69. This rate is available upon request for Penn State faculty and staff who may not want to travel home this evening because of the weather. For details, call the reservations office at (814) 863-5050.
All employees are encouraged to take responsibility for their own safety."
The rest of the message goes on to detail how we can make up the time that we take off to get home early... and safely.
Geez.
I guess there really is no such thing as a "free" lunch.
(Or, "free-hour-to-get-home-safe" for that matter either.)
Wow. I wish I would have known a long time ago that the answer to all things love and romance were solved with this nifty toy. It would have saved me years of heartache trying to find the right guy! Then again, if the boy and I do have romantic issues with one another, perhaps we can use this to solve them!
I honestly don't know if there are any sure fire cures or fix-alls for relationships. I mean, if you look at my dissertation, you could argue that I probably don't believe that there are and that I go looking for them like crazy. :) I can't help that I'm interested in the "dark side" of human communication! It's more interesting I think!
In the meantime, I guess I'd better get back to work.
Wait! I just have to post the message I received regarding all the white-nastiness that lies outside this building...
"With the National Weather Service predicting hazardous weather through Wednesday morning, University employees are reminded that Penn State has hotel rooms available in The Nittany Lion Inn at a special winter weather rate of $69. This rate is available upon request for Penn State faculty and staff who may not want to travel home this evening because of the weather. For details, call the reservations office at (814) 863-5050.
All employees are encouraged to take responsibility for their own safety."
The rest of the message goes on to detail how we can make up the time that we take off to get home early... and safely.
Geez.
I guess there really is no such thing as a "free" lunch.
(Or, "free-hour-to-get-home-safe" for that matter either.)





No comments:
Post a Comment